Businesses have time and again invested their resources and time in different marketing activities. The main objective has always been promotion of products and services. Now, with the advent of online businesses, the whole scenario of marketing has changed completely.
Digital marketing has gained popularity in recent years with the development in computer technologies.
Channels of digital marketing
Digital marketing is a term that covers a lot of activities that include promoting products, services and brand online. Digital marketing has many channels which are used by various internet marketing companies to carve out a full scaled and successful marketing strategy. Every business might not need every channel in their digital marketing plans.
Content marketing is a digital marketing approach which focuses on strategically creating and distributing relevant content that the users find useful. Since a user group is already looking for solutions to their problem, they might be potential customers who can purchase products and services that the business is offering. Content is well placed so that the users can find them and make their way to business websites.
Search Engine Optimisation
Search engine optimisation or SEO is a digital marketing channel that helps to improve the visibility of the business website and its content in the search engine result pages. SEO tricks help in improving rank of the website. This helps the website to be displayed higher on the search results and the website enjoys greater traffic. The effects created by SEO are long term.
Social Media Management
Social media optimisation or SMO is a way to promote a business or a brand. Now-a-days people are active on social media sites; thus, it is easier to reach them here. If a business shares impressive posts and content through social media, they become more visible.
Social networking provides amazing opportunities for businesses to connect with their customers on a very personal level. Social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn and other blogging sites, online forums and communities serve as platforms to promote products and services. Social media sites also help a business to get feedback. Feedback is important as well – even the negative ones, as they help in improvisation and optimisation of products and services.
Businesses can promote themselves through one or more affiliates. Easily measurable, affiliate marketing allows a business to place its ad on website of the affiliate in exchange of money or services.
Pay-per click advertising is helpful in making a business visible in searches. With the help of Google AdWords, businesses can get their ad displayed when a search is initiated. They have to pay for the advertisements when the ad is clicked. Pay-per-click ad is a form of display advertisement and it can be in text, image or video.
Email marketing is one of the effective ways to remain in contact with new customers or bring new customers. Email allows a business to interact with their customers on a personal level. It is also cost effective and easy. Well-designed newsletters are sent to customers or leads. These are few channels through which digital plans are executed. Digital marketing is constantly evolving and new ways and methods of promoting products and services online are being invented.
Benefits of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing helps businesses to reach out to their potential customers in the digital world. Internet has a mass market for businesses that can be tapped easily. Digital marketing made this online approach of the enterprises both affordable and effective.
Here are some benefits of digital marketing that are promised to all the enterprises which adopt a well-planned digital marketing strategy.
- Tap new customer base and global reach: A website created by the businesses can be visited by the users from different parts of the world. This helps the businesses to have a global reach and connect with new customers. Businesses can influence the internet users who are looking for information and provide solutions that they might be interested in. This gives businesses the ability to expand their customers.
- Cost effective: Marketing and promotion models of businesses may require a huge investment and extensive work. While this might be true for traditional marketing, it proves to be wrong in case of digital marketing. Businesses can run a successful campaign in considerably lesser cost. Digital marketing provides quality marketing services at an affordable cost. This also saves the businesses from all the stress of working.
- Measurable performance: The results obtained by the internet marketing tactics can be easily tracked by the digital marketing company using some tools and analysis. Web analytics and other metrics help in measuring the effectiveness of a marketing plan. Detailed information regarding improvement in the number of visitors, site rank and conversion rate can be obtained. Measuring how many visitors are revisiting the site and how many are not impressed by the site and are clicking away help to make constant improvements.
- Better conversion rate: Internet marketing strategies are built to convert traffic into sales. It targets those who are interested in the products and services the business is offering.
- Connection with customers: Digital marketing helps a business to connect better with their customers, helping them to adopt a personal approach. With customer database linked to their website, businesses can tailor personalised offers for their customers. These personally targeted offers built loyalty among the customers. Businesses have a chance to keep contact with their customers through social networking sites where the customers are constantly active. Constant posts on social media create a trust among customers as they get closer to the business. Unlike phone calls, social media promotions are received well by the customers.
A business can compete with the bigger enterprises by planning an effective digital marketing campaign. Digital marketing provides a levelled ground to every business irrespective of its size, to reach customers. And as digital marketing offers magnified effects with less investment, small and medium businesses stand a fair chance in the digital world.